Lukas C. Eklund
419 Jean Street, Madison, WI 53703
I am a Senior Software Developer with 10 years of solid experience with Ruby,
covers the full stack of software development from the server layer, data
model, application layer, to the user interface. I’m passionate
about building well-tested, quality software.
The first piece of software I ever wrote, in the sixth grade, was a graphical
adventure game set in the age of dinosaurs written in Applesoft BASIC. These
days I get excited about building scalable RESTful API’s and responsive web
applications in Rails (and I still like dinosaurs).
Fastly – San Francisco, CA (remote)
Principal Engineer (7/2016 – current)
Software Engineer (7/2015 – 7/2016)
- Design, build, and update Ruby applications to support external APIs
- Work with corss-functional teams to deliver features to customers
KaBOOM! – Washington, DC
Lead Software Engineer / Director Software Engineering (01/2014 – 6/2015)
Manager, Software Engineering (05/2012 – 01/2014)
- Conceptualize, design, development, and maintain new and existing Rails-based web
products and applications in an Agile (two-week iterations, bug-days & pair
- Manage PostgreSQL databases and provide query support for reporting and data analysis.
- Work with a GIS manager to support mapping initiatives and implement data-based work-flows in PostGIS.
- Maintain and support the back-end infrastructure running on Heroku and Heroku Postgres.
- Manage a small team of developers to be a constructive, productive, well-oiled machine.
- Lead development of custom Rails 4 based CMS from idea to functioning product in 4 months.
- Migrated existing Drupal data from MySQL to new custom PostgreSQL-based CMS.
- Moved rails applications off of Rackspaca and Slicehost and on to the Heroku platform.
- Migrated 3 legacy MySQL databases to a single multi-schema PostgreSQL database
- Converted map data to PostGIS tables utilizing table inheritance to provide multiple geometries per record.
Vetstreet (VCA Antech) – Silver Spring, MD
Senior Application Developer (08/2011 – 05/2012)
- Lead development of large scale marketing campaigns using Perl, Java, SQL, PL/pgSQL.
- Optimize campaigns to run efficiently and quickly against a massive dataset.
- Design, test, and build Sinatra applications to provide functionality that may not
require the full Rails stack.
- Develop and support large-sacle Ruby on Rails consumer pet portal that provides
access to pet data, a notification/request framework, and other tools.
- Develop Ruby on Rails based API used to provide and accept data from external
partners and internal applications.
- Developed test framework to simulate email marketing campaigns to run over 90-days in 2-3 hours to allow for comprehensive testing.
- Refactored a legacy Perl application to SQL, PL/pgSQL, and a touch of Perl reducing total run time by over 24 hours
- Developed and rapidly deployed a Sinatra application in under 24 hours to provide vital functionality (that had been erroneously left out of the requirements) to a newly launched application
Media Matters for America – Washington, DC
Senior Systems Developer (04/2011 – 08/2011)
Systems Developer (05/2007 – 08/2011)
- Develop, test, deploy, and maintain web-based applications for research, analysis, video processing and archiving usy Ruby on Rails and Perl-based frameworks.
- Write and optimize SQL schemas, queries, and stored procedures using PostgreSQL
- Maintain the Media Matters for America website and develop new features as
well as back-end development in the Perl-based HTML::Mason framework
- Develop and deploy internal applications for research, analysis, video processing/
archiving, and other functions using Ruby on Rails
- Install and support back-end and front-end webservers for development and
production in an nginx/apache2/mod_perl environment
- Support and administer custom video recording and archiving applications
- Administer multiple servers running Ubuntu 8.0.4 / 10.0.4 and Windows Server 2003
- Provide database support and light administration of PostgreSQL (8.4) databases
- Developed and deployed an internal CMS for drafting, proofing, and publishing items to the Media Matters website using the Perl-based Catalyst framework
- Worked with development team to convert the Media Matters website from a file- based XML::Comma system to a PostgreSQL backed system
- Rapidly developed and deployed several Ruby on Rails applications for internal usage
Media Matters for America – Washington, DC
Web Producer (04/2006 – 05/2007)
- Publish content to the Media Matters website using a custom CMS
- Clip, compile, and edit video and audio for the web
- Design and create images, badges, and buttons
Aspen Systems Corporation – Rockville, MD
Management Analyst (01/2002 – 03/2006)
- Develop budgets, analyze and track current financial data, and prepare reports
- Prepare and write cost proposals for new business and existing contracts
- Manage daily project costs while working directly with management to ensure that all costs are necessary and allowable
- Maintain contract files and work directly with contract department to ensure that all projects are properly funded
North Park University – Chicago, Illinois
Electronic Publications Manager (12/1998 – 08/2001)
- Oversaw all aspects of external University website including structure, design, content, layout, coding, and database integration
- Developed unified strategy for the University’s web publications
- Developed, maintained, and updated all sections of the University website
skills and tools
- I’m quite skilled with SQL and have much experience with PostgreSQL, PostGIS, PL/pgSQL, PL/v8. This includes experience with large datasets (one table has over 7.5e8 rows).
I’ve worked with MySQL but my preferred RDBMS is PostgreSQL.
- Editor of choice: vim.
- My current web development stack experience is mainly Ruby on Rails (3 & 4) or Sinatra + Sequel. I’ve also developed using the Perl-based Catalyst framework and HTML::Mason.
- Test framework: MiniTest because it’s so simple but I am beginning to lean towards rspec because it’s so much more readable.
- Strong unix knowlegde — I’m feel at home when given a bash prompt.
- Experienced with AWS services including S3, Cloudfront, EC2, ELB, RDS
- Some other tools in my kit: Redis, Google Maps API, Mapbox, Unicorn, Passenger, nginx, Bootstrap, jQuery, bash
- I’m an efficient problem solver and skilled at troubleshooting. I’m also a self-starter and a fast learner — I love learning new technologies and methodologies and have begun learning Scala and Clojure to really wrap my head around functional programming.
Bachelors of Science in Physics (05/1997)
North Park College, Chicago, Illinois